Re: vachss Re: RARA-AVIS: James Ellroy

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Jan 2010

    I don't want to slam Vachss too hard-- he's writing a crime/adventure series after all.  But I get a strange imbalance in his stuff, especially the series about Burke.  He mixes dead sober serious issues with escapist pulp fantasy elements in a fashion that I found off-putting.  Pathetic child victims on the same page as junkyard dwelling tech masterminds making cool gizmos for the hero.  Sick realistic predators on the same page as super-masters of the martial arts. I can see why some might like to see pulp justice brought to bear against societal demons like child abuse, but it felt artificial to me. Like a novel about Doc Savage and his crew of crimefighters showing up to make things right at Belsen. Perhaps I'm too sensitive on this issue.

    John

    ________________________________ From: James Michael Rogers <jeddak5@cox.net> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tue, January 26, 2010 5:25:17 PM Subject: Re: vachss Re: RARA-AVIS: James Ellroy

      Vachss takes a courageous stand against pedophiles. How unusual. Every courthouse in America has unsung attorneys doing the same thing. If they had an eyepatch and a faux macho attitude they might be pretty cool. Double cool if they get on Larry King to brag about it.

    What did you like about the books? The car with the seat that triggers to crush people? Gee, I don't see why Philip Marlowe didn't have one of those. James Bond could have used one too, but the MI6 budget isn't what it used to be.

    James

    ----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Jeter To: rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 16:12 Subject: Re: vachss Re: RARA-AVIS: James Ellroy

    I think people should note why Vachss writes: It enables him to act as a lawyer who represents children exclusively. And for my money, I do not see how one can call Vachss a knockoff of anyone.

    On 1/26/10, BaxDeal@aol. com <BaxDeal@aol. com> wrote:

    > i disagree about vachss. read the first 3 or 4 in the burke series (flood,
    > as
    > someone mentioned already, is the first). shella, a non series, is also
    > worthy.
    >

    > most of what I've read of Vachss seems cartoonish and over the top. I
    > found Shella to be the exception. an excellent work
    >
    > everybody's comments about Ellroy are all on the mark
    >
    > John Lau
    >

    > Vaya con Carné

    Michael Damian Jeter
    New Orleans, LA