RARA-AVIS: Re: A fun fact...

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 26 Jan 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Debbi Mack <demack5@...> wrote:

    > The bottom line is that writing is a business, just like any other. Create a good product (a good or even adequate book), put some money into marketing and promotion, be willing to take risks and invest in your product, meet as many people in the business as possible (network like crazy), have chutzpah and (through a combination of these means) create your own luck.

    Debbi, a lot of very good, even acclaimed, authors, do the above and never break out. I think what Patterson, Ellroy and others have demonstrated is sometimes you have to do something more spectacular to break out--in Patterson's case, it was being one of the first to advertise books on TV (and a very clever ad it was), with Ellroy dropping 50k (and getting his publisher to match) on NY Times ads when he wasn't making nearly that on his books.

    --Dave