RE: RARA-AVIS: Freaky Deaky (Leonard)

From: Lawrence William Coates (coatesl@bgsu.edu)
Date: 17 Jan 2010

    I read this over the summer after seeing it recommended on RA. I teach fiction writing, and I frequently used the example of the bomb under the table to discuss suspense. As I recall, Truffaut was interviewing Hitchcock and asked, if there's a bomb under the table, do you let the audience know. Hitchcock said, of course, let the audience know. If they don't know, you get ten seconds of surprise. If they do know, you get five minutes of suspense.

    So you'll understand how much I loved the first scene of Freaky Deaky, with the drug dealer sitting naked on a chair filled with dynamite. And then... well, I don't want to give anything away, but it was a beautiful moment.

    Lawrence

    ________________________________________ From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jacquesdebierue [jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com] Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:18 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Freaky Deaky (Leonard)

    Inspired by recent rereadings of Gold Coast and Maximum Bob, I took up this old friend. I feared I wasn't going to like it as much... well, the fears were unfounded. This remains the greatest Leonard, possibly shared with The Moonshine War, which is next in line for confirmation. Very hardboiled and wickedly funny, great plot, characters and dialogue. Hats off.

    Best,

    mrt

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional