RARA-AVIS: Publishers acting as filters, eh?

From: Frederick Zackel (fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 12 Jan 2010

    From yesterday's Publishers Lunch:

    FICTION Debut Kenneth Harmon's BETTER NOT POUT: A Tale of North Pole Noir, in which a hard-boiled elf is framed for murder in a world that plays reindeer games for keeps, to Ben Sevier at Dutton, in a very nice deal, in a pre-empt, by Scott Miller at Trident Media Group.

    Mystery/Crime Carole Nelson Douglas's next three Midnight Louie mysteries, the "V,W,X" books in the alphabetically titled series about a feline PI pitched as "Sam Spade with hairballs" and part-time noir narrator who discreetly aids two amateur and two professional human crime solvers in Las Vegas, to Claire Eddy at Forge, for publication in 2011-2013, by Howard Morhaim at the Howard Morhaim Literary Agency.

    Sam Spade with hairballs...uh-huh.

    And a hard-boiled elf, eh?

    So let me pitch you this great idea I got about a radical jihadist made out of wood by a puppeteer, who discovers he has an insect for a conscience ... named Yemeni Cricket ....?

    Uh-huh. Publishers filter. Uh-huh.