RARA-AVIS: Re: Westlake 's Short Fiction

From: Douglas G. (crippenlandru@earthlink.net)
Date: 11 Jan 2010

    Westlake short story collections I have:

    Donald Westlake. Enough. New York: M. Evans and Company, 1977.
         Contains a novella (“A Travesty”) and an unrelated novelette. In the novella, Carey Thorpe accidentally kills his girlfriend, commits 2 murders to protect himself, but becomes a friend of the cop investigating him and along the line solves 4 mysteries, which form independent short stories. (I have seen a 1980 UK book-club edition containing only the novella; I don’t know whether the 1st UK edition, published by Hutchinson also in 1980, also lacks the novelette.).

    _____. Levine. New York: Mysterious Press, 1984.
         Police-procedural detective stores.

    _____. Tomorrow’s Crimes. New York: Mysterious Press, 1989.
         Contains science-fictional crime stories, including one detective story (“The Risk Profession,”Amazing, 1961) and one near spy story (“The Spy in the Elevator”).

    _____. Give Till It Hurts, A Christmas Story. New York: The Mysterious Bookshop, 1993.
         Separately printed crook short story, featuring Dortmunder, given to customers of The Mysterious Bookshop.

    _____. A Good Story and Other Stories. Unity, ME: Five Star, 1999.
         Contains 9 crime stories from The Curious Facts Preceding My Execution (1968), one from Tomorrow’s Crimes, and 8 previously uncollected stories.

    _____. Thieves’ Dozen. New York: Mysterious Press, 2004.
         Contains 11 stories (not 12), 10 of which feature John Dortmunder and one John Rumsey, whom Westlake invented when a movie studio claimed that they had all rights to the Dortmunder character. Among the stories is the Mysterious Bookshop holiday pamphlet described above.

    Doug G