RARA-AVIS: Re: Ed McBain

From: Roy (chiun9@aol.com)
Date: 10 Jan 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, sandra seamans <sandraseamans@...> wrote:

    > What does surprise me about the Hope series is that they're never discussed when anyone speaks about McBain's work.  Are they considered less than stellar when compared to his other work?
    >
    > Sandra

    I've always wanted to ask the same question about two other McBain books that I've had in my collection for years but have yet to read. In 1975 he wrote a book called Where's the Smoke. In 1986 he wrote one called Another Part of the City. Both are police books but not part of the 87th precinct series. Sometimes they would reprint older books he wrote under the Evan Hunter or Richard Marsten names and credit them to McBain. Both of these books, however, were McBain originals. I've never heard either of these books mentioned by anybody ever. Just out of curiosity, has anyone read them? Comments?