Re: RARA-AVIS: Block-McBain

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Jan 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "hardcasecrime" <editor@...> wrote:

    > I'm well known to be a fan (and of course a publisher) of Lawrence
    > Block, so take this with a grain of salt if you must, but honestly,
    > saying you think Block's not worth reading because you've read EVERYBODY
    > DIES, THE BURGLAR WHO THOUGHT HE WAS BOGART, and THE BURGLAR WHO TRADED
    > TED WILLIAMS is a lot like saying you think James M. Cain's an overrated
    > hack because you read GALATEA, THE MAGICIAN'S WIFE, and THE INSTITUTE.
    > Or that Ed McBain's not worth reading because you read JIGSAW (which,
    > incidentally, is one of the weakest novels I've ever read). Every
    > author's got better and worse books, and if you're going to form an
    > opinion of an author based on just a few examples, you owe it to
    > yourself to choose the ones that are widely considered to be his best.
    >
    > If, after you read some of these, you still don't like Block, so be it
    > -- no author, no matter how good, pleases everyone. But all this talk
    > about how McBain is objectively better because he writes realistically
    > and honestly conveys emotion, etc., etc., is utter nonsense. McBain at
    > his best does do those things, but so does Block, every bit as well.

    I didn't say that Block lacks those things. I was talking about Evan Hunter, specifically about his short stories, which should be better known.

    I have a much higher opinion of the Burglar series than most people here. I value humor, and Block knows how to write it brilliantly. He's very versatile.

    Best,

    mrt