Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Ed McBain

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2010

    What does surprise me about the Hope series is that they're never discussed when anyone speaks about McBain's work.  Are they considered less than stellar when compared to his other work?

    Not in my opinion, and the ones you've listed are scary as hell. PUSS IN BOOTS, I thought, was particularly disturbing. As Evan Hunter, he does a similar thing in CRIMINAL CONVERSATIONS. His two personas collided delightfully over the last years of his life. CANDYLAND was published as though written by both Hunter & McBain, a gimmick that in no way undermined a very creepy and realistic plot. I loved this writer under any name he wanted to use.

    Patrick King