RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Ed McBain

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2010

    Your loss. He's ten times the writer Block was at Block's best.

    Patrick King

    From: Ron Clinton <clinton65@comcast.net> Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Ed McBain To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 10:26 AM

          I enjoy McBain's short fiction (though not nearly as much as Block's) and

    his early pseudonymous stand-alones (and a few of his McBain stand-alones) ,

    but have yet to read any of his 87th Precinct series. Since I tend to have

    an aversion to series (and, increasingly, detective fiction), I probably

    never will.

    Ron C.

    But last

    > week I picked up LEARNING TO KILL, a collection of his early works. This

    comes

    > almost exactly a year after loving Lawrence Block's ONE NIGHT STANDS &

    LOST

    > WEEKENDS, a collection of his early works. I am hoping for a comparable

    > experience.

    > Technically the stories may not be very good, but I am eager to see how

    his chops

    > develop over the course of the collection. Sort of an anthropological look

    at crime