RARA-AVIS: Re: nuts to the feel of a real book

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2009

    Vinyl is a small niche, and it's nice it's not dead. It does show that people are looking for something else, but... how many people? The point, I think, is that "efficiency" is an industrial concept, not a human concept. I do believe we are witnessing the death of "homo economicus", but that death is likely to take a long time. What is worth what? If food were offered in pills and sex in a virtual reality machine, would people go for them and abandon the real thing? Humans are animals, that is their main characteristic. Let's not forget that. Sooner or later, something is going to snap. The huge consumption of drugs indicates that something is very wrong.

    So, to get back on topic, when the toughest noir writers paint these nightmarish situations and these alienated people, they may be simply being realistic. Noir may be the new realism.

    Best,

    mrt