Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: possibly the biggest publishing story of the year

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 19 Dec 2009

    I'm Stona Fitch's agent, Dave, so probably not the best person to ask. Having said that, you did ask, and I think he's outstanding. I was a huge fan of SENSELESS long before he joined the agency. One of the most disturbing and prophetic books I've ever read.

    Re dedicating the proceeds of your books to charity... you can see it that way if you like. But with the Concord Free Press, the authors retain their rights, and they create a lot of buzz for their books. I see it more as the equivalent of having gorgeous advanced reading copies for books that don't have a deal yet. The Gregory Maguire book is now being published by HarperCollins, incidentally. Maguire is now richer as a result of the Concord Free Press edition (there was no deal in place for Wicked prior to that). This is also true of Fitch's novel Give + Take, which was picked up by Thomas Dunne/St Martin's Press, Two Ravens Press in the UK (and a Greek publisher, and a Taiwanese publisher, and no doubt many more) and will be out in hardcover in April next year.

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "davezeltserman" <Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com> To: <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:58 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: possibly the biggest publishing story of the year