Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: possibly the biggest publishing story of the year

From: Don Lee (donthepoet420@gmail.com)
Date: 19 Dec 2009

    Books get vetted by reviewers, by word of mouth, by the efforts of the author him/herself to gather this material together and self-promote. I have bought probably a dozen books in the last couple months based on reviews, or promotion of one sort or another. Just b/c it's small press doesn't mean there's no editorial screening. If a writer goes to the trouble to write and self-publish a book, and doesn't follow up to the extent they're capable of in promoting it, that's on them, but otherwise, it's usually possible to find feedback from *somebody* saying what they thought of it. Even a few reader comments on Amazon.com is often enough to me me press the GO button. This isn't an either/or scenario.

    Don

    --
    "Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon."
    -- Chinese Road Sign