Re: RARA-AVIS: Maximum Bob

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 16 Dec 2009

    I had a ball rereading this Leonard oldie. Terrific in all respects. A perfect mix of comedy and very hardboiled doings. I had read it when it came out that never until now. If you haven't read it, go for it. Paperback copies go for a quarter at my local Salvation Army!

     the tv series based on this book pursued the comedic angle a lot more than the hardboiled, a tack many Leonard adapters have taken

    my recollection of the book is, it was a good example of Dutch's claim that he makes them up as he goes along. it started out being about Bob, but ended up being about the female probation officer Kathy Diaz Baker instead

    I just finished Michael Connelly's 9 Dragons. the middle section is one of the most propulsive narratives I've read in a long time. someone asked awhile ago if the Henry Lau character in the last section was some kind of shout out to me and I responded that I had no idea, it could just be a coincidence. having read it, I'd say that it still might be a coincidence, but it's close enough to my own circumstances that I got a big kick out of it

    John Lau

     Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

    -----Original Message----- From: jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 11:05 am Subject: RARA-AVIS: Maximum Bob

    I had a ball rereading this Leonard oldie. Terrific in all respects. A perfect mix of comedy and very hardboiled doings. I had read it when it came out that never until now. If you haven't read it, go for it. Paperback copies go for a quarter at my local Salvation Army!

    Best,

    mrt