RARA-AVIS: Re: has this been doen before?

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Dec 2009

    Dave,

    Re your question below:

    ". . . I was wondering if anyone else has ever done anything like this before--have a series based on a theme as opposed to a character? Can anyone think of any?"

    H.R.F. Keating wrote a series of police procedurals in the mid to late '90's about various police officers, of various ranks, working for different forces, and how they each deal with a crisis in their lives. The titles were THE RICH DETECTIVE, THE GOOD DETECTIVE, THE SOFT DETECTIVE, and THE BAD DETECTIVE. The final book in the series, THE HARD DETECTIVE, was also the first in a more standard, character-based series about an ultra-tough policewoman, D.C.I. Harriet Martens.

    Under the pseudonym "John Crowe," our own Dennis Lynds wrote a series set in a fictional California community called "Buena Costa County." Some of them were cop novels, some PI novels, some were hard to classify. They all explored the theme of how people in an upscale community reacted to crime.

    JIM DOHERTY