RARA-AVIS: Re: The Evolving HARLEQUIN thread

From: David Wilson (boiledoverbooksn@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Dec 2009

    Sorry, I've got to disagree with this one. A well designed book is a thrill and an aid to the story within. Books can be a great read but they are also an object, an artifact, and sometimes they are beautiful indeed. I don't mind any reason that someone wants to buy a book and conversely, I've been able to afford some wonderful books, slicks, pulps and comics simply because they lacked a cover.

    This still doesn't let HARLEQUIN off the hook.

    For Wade Miller, I like the series of novels set in Mexico, particularly the way that many of their characters show up in multiple books on both sides of the border. South of the Sun, one of the lesser knowns, takes a big-cast JDM approach to incidents in Baja. .. And don't forget their other novels with the Whit Masterson name.

    For Harry W. -- this is hard. There are so many to pick from that it depends upon mood. I have to admit that Black Lizard selected the prime, especially A Moment To Prey and A Ticket To Hell, though I'm awfully fond of A Night For Screaming and To Find Cora.

    David Laurence Wilson