Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harlequin

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Dec 2009

    Of your list, I am also very fond of Bellem. I think he was an original, and he makes me laugh hard. He must have done something right... Some of his plots seem written by a madman.

    That's putting it mildly. I doubt he plotted BLUE MURDER at all, just wrote it stream of consciousness and let it do whatever it did without too much input from him. The story makes no sense. I suppose you can laugh at it, but if I'm looking for laughs I'd rather read Wodehouse. In reading BLUE MURDER, I actually thought Bellem might be a woman spoofing the macho style of the time. I've been assured I'm wrong about that. I can't believe anyone published that book.

    Patrick King