RARA-AVIS: Harlequin

From: Bill Crider (macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Nov 2009

    Here's what the Harlequin blog has to say about the "editing" of their crime reprints.

    "Remember, our intention was to publish the stories in their original form. But once we immersed ourselves in the text, our eyes grew wide. Our jaws dropped. Social behavior—such as hitting a woman—that would be considered totally unacceptable now was quite common sixty years ago. Scenes of near rape would not sit well with a contemporary audience, we were quite convinced. We therefore decided to make small adjustments to the text, only in cases where we felt scenes or phrases would be offensive to a 2009 readership. Also, grammar and spelling standards have changed quite a bit in sixty years. But that did entail a text edit, which we had not anticipated."

    You can read the rest here: *http://tinyurl.com/ygp7nuz

    Bill Crider
    *

    <*> Your email settings: