RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: are authors the best judge of their work?

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 26 Nov 2009

    As for constant revision, I've heard Tim O'Brien is known for revising his books between editions. I've never checked this, only having one edition of each of the books of his I've read. Closer to home, Dan Marlowe extensively rewrote The Name of the Game is Death,not just the ending to turn it into a series. Also, I posted this in 2000: I'm about 20 pages into Donald Hamilton's Line of Fire. The copyright date is 1955. As usual with Gold Medal, there is no information about edition of the printing. However, I noticed something a bit odd. The getaway car in this 1955 book is described as a '62 Chevy convertible and the dame lost her husband in Viet Nam. I'm assuming this was originally Korea and another date car. Did Gold Medal make a practice of updating their books? I've never noticed this before. Mark