RARA-AVIS: Re: are authors the best judge of their work?

From: hardcasecrime (editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2009

    > Could you direct us to a list of the Alan Furst novels
    > you're talking about?

    There were three: YOUR DAY IN THE BARREL, which was nominated for the Edgar for Best First Novel and was lots of fun, and THE PARIS DROP and THE CARIBBEAN ACCOUNT, which were both pretty lousy.

    I completely understand him not allowing the latter two to be reprinted, but the first one does deserve to see the light of day again.

    Charles

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Don Lee <donthepoet420@...> wrote:

    > Hi Charles,
    >
    > Could you direct us to a list of the Alan Furst novels you're talking
    about?

    > On 11/25/09, hardcasecrime editor@... wrote:
    > >
    > >> but you all would know of hb/noir writers possibly
    > >> relevant to this topic besides ellroy.
    > >
    > > Willeford wouldn't (and now his widow won't) allow GRIMHAVEN to be
    > > published.
    > >
    > > Stephen King won't let RAGE, one of his early Bachman books, be
    > > reprinted.
    > >
    > > And a number of authors have said no to my requests to reprint some
    of
    > > their early work: Alan Furst won't allow his early comic pot dealer
    > > novels to be reprinted; ditto Martin Cruz Smith with his books about
    an
    > > operative for the Vatican; and on and on. Lots of early work that
    > > successful writers would like to forget (sometimes despite it being
    very
    > > good).
    > >
    > > --Charles
    > >
    > > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, sonny sforstater@ wrote:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/nov/24/james-ellroy-best-\
    \

    judge-own-novels?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed\
    \
    > > %3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29
    > >>
    > >> above, james ellroy disses 'the cold six thousand', tho the
    poster's
    > > claim that he disowns it is a bit exagerrated. but other authors
    have
    > > refused to let books be reprinted. then there's the recent nabokov
    > > 'book', which he requested be burnt. as compared with kafka's
    requests
    > > to max brod and brod's refusal to comply.
    > >>
    > >> and finally salinger's refusal to publish at all. assuming there is
    > > something to publish, of course. tho he's in special position, not
    > > needing money and not wanting any public attention. i doubt he
    considers
    > > what he's written not worthy of being published. and yes, he's way
    OT