Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: are authors the best judge of their work?

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 26 Nov 2009

    grimhaven i find especially bizarre, since it's available for reading at the broward library and available (illegally) online. not publishing is one thing. making people come to one library in the world to read it is another.

     I found a xerox of the original manuscript at a used bookstore in East Hollywood. paid $25 for it

    great fucking book. and makes the book he published instead, New Hope For the Dead hysterical in its irony

    is Betsy W still on the list?

    John Lau

     "You may have the watches, but we have the time." - Afghan proverb

    -----Original Message----- From: sonny <sforstater@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wed, Nov 25, 2009 8:45 pm Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: are authors the best judge of their work?

    From: hardcasecrime <editor@hardcasecrime.com> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: are authors the best judge of their work? To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 8:25 AM

    > but you all would know of hb/noir writers possibly
    > relevant to this topic besides ellroy.

    Willeford wouldn't (and now his widow won't) allow GRIMHAVEN to be published.

    Stephen King won't let RAGE, one of his early Bachman books, be reprinted.

    And a number of authors have said no to my requests to reprint some of their early work: Alan Furst won't allow his early comic pot dealer novels to be reprinted; ditto Martin Cruz Smith with his books about an operative for the Vatican; and on and on. Lots of early work that successful writers would like to forget (sometimes despite it being very good).

    --Charles

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, sonny <sforstater@...> wrote:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/nov/24/james-ellroy-best-\ judge-own-novels?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed\
    %3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29

    > above, james ellroy disses 'the cold six thousand', tho the poster's
    claim that he disowns it is a bit exagerrated. but other authors have refused to let books be reprinted. then there's the recent nabokov
    'book', which he requested be burnt. as compared with kafka's requests to max brod and brod's refusal to comply.

    > and finally salinger's refusal to publish at all. assuming there is
    something to publish, of course. tho he's in special position, not needing money and not wanting any public attention. i doubt he considers what he's written not worthy of being published. and yes, he's way OT here, sorry.