RARA-AVIS: Re: recent reads

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Nov 2009

    Todd,

    Re your comments below:

    "Oh and I read 'Nightmare Town' the collection of Hammett stories. Man it just doesn't get much better than the Continental Op. The title story gave me a lot to chew on for a few days too - not very well executed, but I thought it was the most blatantly left-wing I've read by Hammett. Boom & bust capitalism or scandalous crime - what's the difference?"

    In much the same way that, say, "The Gutting of Couffignal" and "The Girl witht he Silver Eyes," are interesting, no only in themselves, but as dry runs for THE MALTESE FALCON, "Nightmare Town" and the Op western/gangbuster crossover "Corkscrew" are both interesting as dry runs for RED HARVEST.

    JIM DOHERTY