RARA-AVIS: Word counts, part 2

From: Juri Nummelin (juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 24 Nov 2009

    I raised some wonder with my comments on word counts. I was talking about Finnish translations and said they were usually longer. That is indeed the case, as we can use fewer words, but the words are usually longer, so the word count is lower, but the character count is higher. (Hence Duane's Wheelman in Finnish is 43,000 words, but in English it's over 50,000 words, even though it's shorter that way.)

    Juri