Re: RARA-AVIS: 65.000 words

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 24 Nov 2009

    'Padding' won't fool anybody. Strengthen it by all means. Add an extra point of view, more drama, more obstacles, etc.

    Short books get published all the time. I've agented several novels under 60,000 words. Yes, some publishers won't consider them. And many of those who will consider them will still see the length as a possible disadvantage. Particularly hardcover publishers. Others don't mind, though. The shortest novel I've agented successfully was 48,000 (sold to a major UK publisher for mass market paperback). It's definitely easier (ie there are more options) if it's longer. 60,000 (as a final draft with all the flab removed) is a good length to aim for.

    Equating it to a feature film: 60,000 words is like a 90-page script. Still on the short side, but not enough to be an instant rejection. Although if you're Walter Hill, you only need 70 pages.

    Al