Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Nov 2009

    Patrick,

    Re your comments below:

    "Let me cut right to the chase here, Jim. YOU can put any content you want up on Amazon's Kindle Store. Until recently no one was checking. If you want to type out or scan a book that you don't have the rights to and SELL it on the Kindle Store, Amazon doesn't know it until the real owner complains. That's what happened with the Orwell content and it happened because some wag wanted to create this very type of conversation in the midst of the greatest publishing freedom in history. It's a great boon to be able to publish and sell your documents directly to the people who want to read them without the behest of some paper grinder, and that is what's been compromised by this stupid stunt with Orwell's work. Amazon has the responsibility of not distributing plagiarized work and when they discover plagiarism stopping it by all means in their power. They returned the money. They did not make the innocent purchaser pay for the crime out of their pockets. The

     owners of the work trump the poor people who were inconvenienced by this scam. But the content is now legitimately available on Kindle. I would not be amazed to learn that Dwight Holly and Wayne Tedrow, Jr. actually concocted these plagerised docs and that Don Crutchfield is spearheading the 'civil suit' against Amazon."

    Fine. But what's any of that got to do with you passing, innocently or not, counterfeit money?

    You pass counterfeit money, even in good faith, and law enforcement traces it to you, you're gonna get talked to by law enforcement. And frankly law enforcement wouldn't be doing their job if they DIDN'T talk to you.

    What is "1984" about that, and what's it got to do with the subject of this thread?

    JIM DOHERTY

    If you pass a counterfeit book, it also gets seized. In this case the people who bought it, innocently or not, had their money refunded.

    I have no legal recourse to regain my $200 except the good will of the person who paid me in counterfeit bills.

    The law is tipped in favor of the counterfeiters with no consideration of any victim except the Treasury Department. I think that's very 1984.

    Patrick King