RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2009

    Kerry,

    Re your comment below:

    "Man, if this circumloquatious justification isn't 1984 newspeak, damned if I know what is."

    Granting that it was long, what was "circumloquatious" about it? I thought it was a pretty straightforward argument on a pretty straightforward point, that getting questioned by police for passing counterfeit money wasn't in any way analogous to a book downloaded into some high-tech reading device suddenly getting erased from that device while the owner of the device is reading it.

    What new words was I using and what old words were they meant to replace? What was there in my comments that in any way paralleled the totalitarian regime in Orwell's novel creating newspeak to replace all those old words that were so dangerously counter-revolutionary?

    Was it meant as an ironically humorous remark? Because, if it was, I'm afraid I'm just not sophisticated enough to get the joke and you're gonna have to explain it to me.

    JIM DOHERTY