RARA-AVIS: The Little Sleep by PaulTremblay

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 17 Nov 2009

    The thought of a narcoleptic detective sounded very cutesy to me, and I almost didn't give it a try because of that. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed this book a lot. The narcoleptic PI is about as damaged a PI as we're going to find in the genre. A van accident leaves the PI's body broken, and with narcolepsy. He can't trust his memories since they can just as easily be hallucinations as real. The case this PI undertakes involves a search for an unknown object with a corrupt DA and his goons on his trail. While the plot is handled nicely, and the writing style flows like silk, what really makes this book sing is this broken PI and his very witty and sad narrative. I highly recommend this.

    --Dave