Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

From: Aldo Calcagno (mysdawg@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 14 Nov 2009

    Al and Dave, Here is where I think things like podcasting and giving away materials help with promotion. You build that audience to several thousand readers/listeners and when you have a product (book) available, most of those subscribers will purchase your book. Simple...... not really. I takes time to do this but it may be more than your publisher is going to or willing to do for first time authors.

    Aldo
     Mystery Dawg http://acalcagno.blogspot.com The Internet's First Crime Short Story Podcast www.crimewav.com Check out my two fictions sites: Powder Burn Flash www.powderburnflash.com Darkest Before the Dawn www.darkestbeforedawn.net

    ________________________________ From: davezeltserman <Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sat, November 14, 2009 2:42:25 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

      It wouldn't surprise me, Al. I've heard stories from authors I know. I guess it all comes down to the investment a publisher is willing to make on promotion and marketing, and while most underfunded POD publishers usually drop their books onto the online stores with little or no investment, traditional houses can be just as guilty at that. POD just allows them to do it with little upfront cost in printing/manufactur ing/distributing the books.

    --Dave