Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 13 Nov 2009

    Thanks for this. However, the salivating desire of corporations for short term profit without regard for longer term consequences is, for me, so evidently the inability to resist an overwhelming wave that I can't take your insight as a correction.

    On the Kindle front, I think Google's digitization of books (with a payment program, as I understand it, something like the system I described for library lending and photocopying text) as more consequential than Kindle, whatever that product's presentation enhancements. For about the price of a Kindle I recently purchased a "notebook" computer that plays music, movies, has internet connectivity and I expect will read the Google books too. And if my fingers weren't so thick I could fiddle with my own poetry on it when I'm not otherwise entertained. Speaking of poetry, the ability of cellphone cameras to create and distribute original short narratives and impressions is more a leading edge than any form of e-book.

    The key to this is not that one technology replaces another, they each have their strengths and problems, it is that digitization extends the reach of cultural content into more and more communities, even as it fractures the big markets. But few bookstores ever profited by carrying a lot of copies of one or two titles. They survived by carrying a couple of copies of many different titles, and knowing which of their various customers would like what.

    So, who's going to mail me my nickel? Kerry