RARA-AVIS: Buzz and the list

From: Juri Nummelin (juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 12 Nov 2009

    What I meant by new writers generating buzz was mainly about crime fiction blogs and lists, such as Rara-Avis, not publishers and media. In 2003-2005, you could see lots of enthusiastic comments about new writers and new books, but it seems to me now - and I can't verify this, it's only a feeling - that this has slowed down. Is it about too many books out there or just too many book blogs no one can follow dedicatedly? Or could be it that the importance of Rara-Avis has diminished?

    ***

    As for David Peace missing from the list: the list was only generated by asking Rara-Avis members what books they thought the best noirs of the 2000s and no one mentioned Peace, even though he'd published by then.

    Juri