RARA-AVIS: Re: Burke

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

    > Lahane's first book, A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR, was god awful; absurd premise, ridiculously violent, comic book deep characters, Bubba for example, and yet it won at least one award. Had I read A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR first, I doubt that, as a reader, I'd bother with Lehane. His subsequent books have been very good.

    What I remember is that Lehane puts out lots of attitude... but only experience can teach somebody that that doesn't amount to much. And the fact that he improved so much shows that quick judgments are risky, even foolish.

    Those who have heard Eric Clapton try to play a solo while accompanying Sonny Boy Williamson (the second, or fake, Sonny Boy) with the Yardbirds know that he eventually did improve a tiny bit(!).

    My point is that I never give up on people, call me a fool.

    Best,

    mrt