RE: RARA-AVIS: Jason Starr

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 10 Nov 2009

    While I suspect that was more hyperbole than anything else, I do believe he ultimately turned out to be on the mark with that comment. His older books typically have a lean and mean, dark and cloying atmosphere of desperation akin to Goodis, while his newer books (TWISTED CITY, LIGHTS OUT, THE FOLLOWER and PANIC ATTACK) seem to me to be more thriller than noir. Still eminently readable and tense, but their fuller, more polished narratives are notably less dark and desperate than their predecessors.

    Ron C.