RARA-AVIS: The best noirs of the 2000's

From: juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi
Date: 10 Nov 2009

    Anyone remember this? I was writing an article for a Finnish magazine about the new noir renaissance and asked on this list suggestions for the best noir books that was published after 2000. Here's the list:

    Richard Aleas: Little Girl Lost Brian Azzarello: 100 Bullets (graphic novel) Ray Banks: The Big Blind Lawrence Block: Enough Rope Anthony Bourdain: Bobby Bold David Bowker: The Death You Deserve Ken Bruen: The Guards; The Killing of the Tinkers Declan Burke: Eight Ball Boogie Daniel Chavarria: Adios Muchachos Reed Farrell Coleman: The James Deans Mark T. Conard: Dark As Night Michael Connelly: City of Bones; Void Moon David Corbett: The Devil?s Redhead; Done for a Dime Rick DeMarinis: A Clod of Wayward Marl Sean Doolittle: Dirt Victor Gischler: Gun Monkeys Joe Gores: Cons, Scams & Grits Allan Guthrie: Two-Way Split Clark Howard: Crowded Lives; Challenge the Widow-Maker Simon Kernick: The Business of Dying; The Murder Exchange; The Crime Trade Terrill Lankford: Earthquake Weather Eddie Muller: The Distance; Shadow Boxer Jack O'Connell: Word Made Flesh T. Jefferson Parker: Silent Joe; Cold Pursuit; Red Light; Black Water; California Girl George Pelecanos: Shame the Devil Scott Phillips: The Ice Harvest; The Walkaway; Cottonwood D.B.C. Pierre: Vernon God Little Manuel Ramos: Moony?s Road to Hell James Sallis: Cypress Grove Dan Simmons: Hardcase; Hard Freeze; Hard As Nails Richard Stark (Donald Westlake): Breakout Jason Starr: Twisted City; Hard Feelings; Tough Luck; Fake I.D. Charlie Stella: Charlie Opera

    I think this was made before James Sallis's DRIVE came out, otherwise it would just have to be there. And no Duane Swierczynski, no Megan Abbott, no Christa Faust, no Declan Burke... we are living a golden era, folks. (At least were, given the publishing crisis.)

    Juri