RE: RARA-AVIS: Review of "Best American Mystery Stories 2009"

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 09 Nov 2009

    From the review: "Clark Howard's "Manila Burning," about the illegal trade in fossil stone, is a downbeat travelogue of Philippine poverty with a somewhat upbeat ending."

    The bigger mystery, beyond all the hullabaloo about the choice of authors in this particular anthology, is why Howard only has two collections.

    On second thought, it's not a mystery -- it's a crime, I tells ya!

    Howard's a master writer, and in my mind, one of the best short-story writers the genre has to offer, right up there with Ed Gorman. That he's almost a constant presence in the various Year's Best anthos (including this one) gives me some assurance that quality still manages to rise to the top...but I wish someone would come out with a massive collection of his work.

    Ron C.

    http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/017/154dmgjk.a sp