RARA-AVIS: Re: Kindle

From: Debbi Mack (demack5@comcast.net)
Date: 06 Nov 2009

    One downside of putting my book up on Kindle is that some readers assume I'm an "indie author." I'm constantly having to explain (when I get the chance to) that my book was actually published by a small press at one point.

    And this whole thing about vetting--I have to agree with Patrick (it was Patrick, right?). Making it in publishing is as much about cronyism and luck as it is about talent. Especially these days. And if you don't believe it's much, much harder to get published today, just check out John Irving's advice to aspiring authors: http://bigthink.com/johnirving/advice-to-aspiring-novelists-dont-shoot-yourself I think the headline says it all. :)

    Frankly, the only people authors should have to impress is readers. And I suspect publishers and agents aren't always in touch with what readers want.

    I realize that the vetting process helps winnow down available books from millions to thousands. I also know that many self-published books are simply dreadful. Still, why not let authors get their work out there, do their own marketing (which they do anyway) and let readers make the call?

    Best wishes, Debbi

    Debbi Mack IDENTITY CRISIS Published by Lulu http://www.lulu.com/content/3923913 Available as an e-book on Amazon, Scribd and Smashwords 301-725-1335 http://www.debbimack.com http://midlistlife.wordpress.com/