RARA-AVIS: Re: JIM THOMPSON

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Mark Sullivan <DJ-Anonyme@...> wrote:

    > In no way diminishing Thompson's impact, you wouldn't put Cain's influence slightly higher, up with Hammett and Chandler? In fact, I see a bit of his influence on some of the Thompson I've read.

    In the stealth with which he hits the reader, I would imagine the influence of John Dos Passos, who was a literary giant -- and Thompson was very much a literary man. The canvases that Thompson puts together in his best novels are quite ambitious. Cain did the same in Mildred Pierce, though he did get a bit long-winded (still a very good book).

    Best,

    mrt