RARA-AVIS: Re: Ebook query

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2009

    > And does it have to be an either/or proposition? No earlier
    > document genre has been entirely replaced by its successors.

    Most new technology doesn't totally, immediately replace the old -- something people seem to forget in these discussions. We drive cars, but horses are still here. If the demand is there, stuff tends to stick around. And in fact, more new books are published every year.

    And if stats that suggest that ebook readers end up reading (and hopefully buying) more than they used to -- one study claims it's three times as much, though that seems a little far-fetched -- it may hasten the recent slight rise in reading rates.

    Who knows? If enough people start to read, maybe rational, informed thought may yet make a comeback, and intelligent discourse may yet replace painting a Hitler mustache on anything anyone disagrees with.

    Kevin Burton Smith Thrilling Detective Web Site