Re: RARA-AVIS: kindle query

From: phred deVecca (frogprod@rcn.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2009

    of course we all rely mostly on recommendations from friends and trusted reviewers and fellow rara-avians and the like but the point is that virtually all of the books recommended by those folks have already been published by a publisher - that is, they have been through an initial vetting process

    without that initial publisher sorting I assure you that you will be exposed to many thousands, nay millions or billions, of examples of writing far more horrible than Dan Brown on his worst day

    >How about the readers doing the sorting? Frankly, even now I rely more on readers' comments and the stuff I read from you guys when I choose a book I haven't read. Because Doubleday publishes something you think I'm going to just run out and buy it? Their track record isn't that good.

    Patrick King

    >I wouldn't worry about the future ... where rubbish is being published.

    After all, "real" publishers actually print the works of Dan Brown!

    The future has already arrived.

    (Did I really say that out loud?) ;)

    Steve