Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: kindle query

From: Steve Gerlach (stezzariffic@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2009

    If Apple actually do release the rumoured "iTablet", the days of the Kindle are numbered.

     Cheers,

    Steve

    ________________________________ From: K. Elisabeth Johnson <prosperena@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Fri, 6 November, 2009 10:46:50 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: kindle query

    I can definitely see their ease of use for business and other logistical uses and wouldn't mind having one myself for those reasons. For simply getting access to information. For reading that book you simply have to read, right now. But when it comes to reading for pleasure I'll be reluctant to give up the book and its tactile pleasures and will definitely miss it should it go the way of the buggy whip in my lifetime. And does it have to be an either/or proposition? No earlier document genre has been entirely replaced by its successors.

    In addition to the obvious reasons for reading a book -- its contents -- I also like collecting books for the beauty of their covers, fonts, typefaces, illustrations, etc. etc. No matter how sophisticated e-readers become, and I saw some pretty amazing "things to come" at last year's NFAIS -- National Federation of Advanced Information Services -- conf., they don't seem to be able to duplicate these sensory qualities.

    Jokes about illuminated manuscripts aside, books of hours and other devotional texts were meant to be contemplated, meditated upon. Can an e-reader lend itself to these activities?

    Perhaps current e-book readers who are "very heavy book buyers" are substituting the e-reader for what other voracious readers currently use the public library for? That is, a place to get access to reading materials that one doesn't want to own permanently and are low cost (taxpayer-supported )?

    Kari

          __________________________________________________________________________________ Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more: http://au.overview.mail.yahoo.com/