Re: RARA-AVIS: kindle query

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 05 Nov 2009

    Look: right now, I mean right now, if I want to I can latch on to bit-torrent (one example among several others) and download the entire record and performance collection of say AC-DC, everything that they ever recorded or performed...if I canıt do it, my 16 y.o. can in about les time that it takes me to write four e-mails... It is totally free, totally illegal, but it happens every minute all over the planet...I could do the same with every 007 film ever made. I could then make DVDıs or CDıs, I could share with friend, compress and send the files anywhere...free, totally free...

    There will be a time when there is a combination of enough books/publications Œout there digitizedı (current and old) and a cool, well marketed device, tips the balance and when it is easier to go that way instead of driving to the bookstore and buying the thing that all youngsters agree, ³weighs a ton², i.e. a book!... Meanwhile large institutions like the U of Michigan, 6 miles away, is presently digitizing everything, absolutely everything in its library...Iıll take 1/2 hr for any smart and devoted 20 y.o. to Œbreak inı, retreive and disseminate, share...free of charge... It happens already...ask your sons or daughters who are in Uıs anywhere...

    It is irreversible... Iım not saying I like it, Iım not saying I approve of it, but it is on the way, the only thing I donıt know is what is that device that will tip the balance...at which stage of development it is...the kindle strikes me as the walkman in the line of reading devices...maybe some of you publishers have a better idea...?..because they will come to you publishers to strike deals and put all Œyourı stuff on Œtheir ıdevice...just like the entire catalog of the Beatles was with one device...at one time...and that was impossible to maintain anyway...

    ...enough...my 16 y.o. daughter has finished with AC-DC...time to send it to one of my friends in Bordeaux, he always wanted it...

    Montois