RARA-AVIS: 1940s British Crime/Noir Titles

From: Eric Chambers (nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 04 Nov 2009

    "manda1623texas" amandatstanford@gmail.com   manda1623texas  wrote;

    > I was wondering if anyone would know of good, perhaps not well-known, authors writing in > the 1940s in Britain?

      This site might be of some interest
      http://www.crimeculture.com/Contents/Brit%20Grit.html\
      Grahame Greene goes without saying, James Hadley Chase is debatable.
      I am a Peter Cheyney fan but not sure how he would be appreciated west of the Atlantic.
      There are any number of British Crime Writers but I'm not aware of  much that you could satisfactorily describe as NOIR from the 40's.
         Some of Gerard Kersh's work is definitely noirish.
      If you've got time you could try this.
      http://www.xs4all.nl/~embden11/Engels/List%20of%20British.htm\
      and this one is the best available for currently in print British Fiction

     http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk\
      enjoy.

    Eric

          __________________________________________________________________________________ Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more: http://au.overview.mail.yahoo.com/