Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: kindle query

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2009

    While some of your concerns have foundation: bookstores & publishers as we know them are in an evolve or die situation, many concerns you site have no foundation. Electronic publishing is the greatest boon to new writers since pulp magazines. Nothing could be easier than publishing your own work electronically. Any length is acceptable. You may charge any price you want, even give the work away for free if you choose, and many do.

    Kindle is only one type of device that can read these files and Amazon certainly does not corner the market on the files, themselves. Virtually all the great writers in history whose works are public domain are available electronically, and new writers' work is available at a considerable savings over paper copies. Besides Kindle, you may also access these types of files on iPods (with screens), iPhones, Zune and many types of cellphones with video screens. Kindle is perhaps the most comfortable of these devices, coming in two sized. The smallest Kindle screen is about 5" X 3". A user may adjust the font size to their desire, use text-to-speech feature if they want to close their eyes for a while. Text-to-speech can read in a woman's voice or a man's as they user wants. It's not perfect, but it is a nice option. A large amount of work by writers we discuss are available electronically at various prices. I read David Goodis' BLACK PUDDING yesterday for
     0.99. I picked up the complete short stories of Hammett for $3.99. All of Chandler's books are available for $9.99 each. Prather's books are available for $6.99 each. Go to Amazon's Kindle store and check what's available for yourself. While a Kindle is an investment, one saves a lot over buying paper copies. It is much easier and lighter to carry than even a paperback book, and you can carry an entire library, really, a library, with you in this little device. Mine was a birthday gift from my sister last May and I must admit I was a little leery about it when it arrived, a surprise. Still, I haven't read a conventional book since I received it. There are still some kinks to work out. Photos and covers appear only in black & white. Maps, when enlarged, lose all their detail on Kindle. Still, for reading pleasure this is the best change to come along since the paperback book.

    For writers, check out HOW TO PUBLISH ANYTHING ON AMAZON'S KINDLE, by Randy Benjamin. If you can read this email and reply to it, you can publish your book, article or story.

    Patrick King

     Fred, This does seem off topic, but thought I'd offer my half-baked thoughts on the subject before Mr T. shuts this discussion down.

    E-readers (Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPhones, what have you) seem to be the future. When this future arrives, who knows? Personally I think it will take eReaders coming down in cost ($50 or less) for that to happen--maybe they'll be like cell phones where the e-book stores sells the readers cheap to lock you into buying e-books from them. As a reader, I don't want to move from paper to spending more time staring at a screen, as a writer, I'm very concerned with the effect this will have on bookstores, especially the independents. For newer writers, it's the independents who support us--they're the ones discovering us, recommending us and handselling us. It happened with Michael Connelly, as well as many other authors, and they're the ones now selling Small Crimes and Pariah. My fear is as more and more indies get knocked out of business and books are bought for e-readers, it will make it nearly impossible for newer writers to be discovered and read except by
     a very small niche of readers. I suspect over time as 100s of thousands of out of print and self-published books are dumped onto the kindle store and other e-book stores that these stores will more and more resemble Walmart, where only a handful of the biggest bestsellers are given prominent display space and all other books buried deep in the web-site. I also suspect as the volume of books grow on these stores, the chances of any book being bought at high enough volumes to attract a real publisher is going to be close to 0.

    So to summarize, I think this trend will be disastrous for most writers (although probably a boon for the biggest names), unless all you're aspiring to is to sell a few hundred copies of your book.

    But this is clearly the future. I'm just hoping it takes a while to get here.

    --Dave Zeltserman

    http://www.davezelt serman.com