RARA-AVIS: Re: Jim Thompson

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2009

    We've also got The Grifters screenplay to thank for the last 10 Parker books. The following is taken from the UK Independent.

    "The real reason Richard Stark, and thus Parker, came back from the dead – in Comeback (1997) – was because, having won an Oscar nomination for his Grifters screenplay Westlake was subsequently turned down flat for two scriptwriting jobs in succession on account of his age. He was then in his sixties. Understandably miffed, Westlake subsequently admitted, "Parker came back to say, 'I'm older than you but I'm still smarter than you. I'm better than you, faster than you and I'm still prettier than you".' After a shaky start, the subsequent series blossomed into one of the true "must-haves" for mystery enthusiasts."

    Personally I liked the book The Grifters quite a bit. The movie is equally excellent, but seems like a straight adaptation from the book with no significant changes. I think the dialog was taken almost intact from the book.

    --Dave