Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harry Whittington

From: David Wilson (boiledoverbooksn@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Oct 2009

    I can't explain the publication dates, other than to suggest that sometimes a manuscript could sit around for a little while. I'll try to look up some of Harry's records, see if there is any explanation other than the pace of moving words through the editorial process. And I do recommend A Ticket to Hell. Black Lizard really did select among the "cream of the crop", including The Devil Wears Wings, A Moment to Prey, Forgive Me Killer and Web of Murder, though I rate Fires That Destroy a little lower.

    David Laurence Wilson Downieville, CA

    ________________________________ From: Jérôme Serme <jerome.serme@wanadoo.fr> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Fri, October 23, 2009 3:54:17 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harry Whittington

       David Laurence Wilson has written:
    > This one is A Ticket To Hell, published by Fawcett Gold Medal in 1959,
    > and one of my favorites. One of Harry's favorites, too, because he
    > used one of it's most dramatic scenes later in 1972. It was reprinted
    > by Black Lizard in 1987.
    Thanks, David, for this swift and neat answer. The weird thing is, that the French edition (1958) was issued prior to the American one (1959). Best regards, Jerome