RARA-AVIS: Re: John D.

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Oct 2009

    Patrick,

    Re your question below:

    "Has Elmore Leonard ever written a detective story? I can't think of any book of his that would really fit that genre type."

    I'm not sure how YOU define "detective story," so when I give you these obvious examples, your inevitable response will undoubtedly be, "Those aren't really detective stories to my mind."

    Nonetheless, some obvious examples are CITY PRIMEVAL, SPLIT IMAGES, GLITZ, FREAKY DEAKY, PRONTO, RIDING THE RAP, OUT OF SIGHT, and THE HOT KID. All of them are stories about a professional investigator of some kind trying to catch a criminal, and they're not the only ones he's written. Defining a detective story as being one about a detective trying to catch a criminal may be too simplistic for you, but it strike me as precisely correct.

    JIM DOHERTY

    JIM DOHERTY