Re : RARA-AVIS: Re: John D.

From: E. Borgers (webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 19 Oct 2009

    Richard,

    You expressed some of my feelings about John D. I always expressed a similar point of view, since the early days of R-A : McGee is secondary struff, formatted (with 2 or three exceptions); the real thing is in his earlier works. Of course, everything in his huge production is not of prime interest, but gosh, for the fifties and early sixties he was a very good HB writer. I could not find his letters, but I read at least 12 of his novels (besides McGees) and John D. is one of the authors that did me fall early in the HB/noir trap.
     A KEY TO THE SUITE, of course- one of his bests. But also: THE END OF NIGHT (dark and unusual at the time), THE EMPTY TRAP, THE EXECUTIONERS, A BULLET FOR CINDERELLA... and others.

    I could easily trade Ross for John D.

    E. Borgers POLAR NOIR http://polarnoir.net16.net/