RARA-AVIS: Re: John D.

From: moorich2 (moorich@aol.com)
Date: 18 Oct 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

    > Yeah, I think I would rather read Harry Whittington or Charles Williams, neither of whom wrote a bad book,

    > If you feel this way, Don't for God's sake, read Whittington's YOU'LL DIE NEXT. One of the worst books I read last year. It's so absurd, in the midst of the mayhem, it's actually funny. Unfortunately it was my first venture into his work, so have not been inclined to read anything else by him.

    I agree with Patrick on YOU'LL DIE NEXT. It was a bad novel and by no means the only bad one the very prolific Whittington wrote. Most of his novels I've read are good entertainments but only a few have real sparkle and a few are dogs. The quality of his westerns is a bit higher than his mysteries.

    Richard Moore