RARA-AVIS: Soundtracks...

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 09 Oct 2009

    Beautifully said and observed...

    It¹s very difficult to take things out of context...especially music or should I say ³soundtrack¹ instead to be more accurate. Let¹s take the music of my fave man Nick Cave and let¹s not even talk about his songs, but his (and warren ellis) score for the oz Œnoir¹ western The Proposition...If you listen to the score all alone...is it Œnoir¹ on its own or is it noir Œto me¹, because I Œsee¹ images from the film...Take the
    Œalmost noir...yet pretty grey¹ 89¹s film by Chris Petit called Radio On with soundtrack with Sting, Bowie, Kraftwerk, Frpp, Dury, Wreckless Eric, The Rumour...individually speaking none of those are noir or even close...but the soundtrach created with the film was...on the way...or some of the choir music behind the BBC series from J. Le Carré¹s books...or if you take the soundtrack of F. de Roubaix for Le Samourai, and just listen to the music CD...

    I have no specific answers...

    Is there a Œnoir¹ sound...a ³noir² music...should it remain contextualized...?...

    Montois

    ps: setzer has dabbled for 15 years at least in tracks for advertising
    (besides his normal gig) and has covered every genre...that would bring the
    $50grand+ fees...I remain a fan of his Stray Cats gig...I don¹t know what his Œnoir² album might be like...²Songs for a Lonely Ave²..is it in
    Œsupport¹ of a particular noir film...?