Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: JC & LDC

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Oct 2009

    I suppose next you'll tell us Polanski's is not "noir" because he's short and "mild."

    Patrick King

    --- On Wed, 10/7/09, Steve Novak <Cinefrog@comcast.net> wrote: From: Steve Novak <Cinefrog@comcast.net> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: JC & LDC To: "RARA-AVIS" <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 9:05 PM

    ...!!!...

    To call Jim Carroll¹s life ³noir or harboiled² because he did a buncha

    drugs, hanged around with rockers and wrote a few notable things about

    it¹all...is a gross, large, misdirected, painful,

    childish.... overstatement. ..

    Even Patti Smith, with whom he hanged around, and a personal humongous

    personal favorite (Œrmember, I live near Detroit since 74...before

    punks¹n¹all), would not be a ³noir character²... she may have dabbled in noir

    iconology (like Carroll) in her poems (wonderful ones...better than her

    songs), songs, life...but she was never and never will be a ³noir

    character²... Just like Jim C.

    They are both wonderful beings, who have contributed much and whose writings

    are worth any personal library, but ³noir characters² themselves, they are

    not.

    Hanging around at the bar and/or the drug-pen for years does not Œmake you¹

    noir/hardboiled. ..writing about it, in fact, would take you instantly out of

    the category, since you are Œone step beyond¹...to make a musical bad

    pun...but what you write, the characters you develop/write/ depict, might

    be...no problem with that...

    Keitel in Bad Lieutenant is ³noir²...Keitel in real life is not...and never

    was...actually very mld...

    Jack N in Chinatown (gotta make a Polanski ref. since nobody has, on

    Chiken-Rara. ..???!!!! !), is ³noir n¹ nasty², yet in real life nothing more

    (very conventionnally enough) than a 60¹s druggy/hippie/ playboy

    bunny-macho/ dreamer/hoop fan...who was never Œcapable of anything¹ like Noah

    Cross advocates for the human race in the film itself..

    With this in mind...who would ever again in Rara consider mush-faced LDC for

    a noir character... and why...???

    I tell you what: if some director casts him, and makes him that, gives him

    that patina, then we will all applaud...but until some Œmean fck¹ director

    got into it and got the performance out of it...we just better all shut

    up...because a boy is a boy...it is what it is...

    Montois adamant and bored with the subject headline...

    PS: for now on I urge every Rara member to instantly delete anything with

    the heading: ³Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Leonardo DiCaprio IS not yet Travis

    McGee²...it will make our autumn days better...and the leaves fall more

    gracefully.. .