RARA-AVIS: Re: Man in Love with Murdered Woman? Need Examples

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2009

    Christa,

    Re your question below:

    "OK, Avians, I'm working on an article and looking for books and films in which a man falls for and/or becomes sexually obsessed with a murdered stranger AFTER her death. For example LAURA (even though she turns out to be alive after all) or Ellroy's BLACK DAHLIA. Ideally, I need a few contemporary examples but older stuff would help too."

    In the DRAGNET episode "The Gun" (first broadcast on 27 Apr 1967), Joe Friday and his partner investigate the rape-murder of a beautiful military widow and single mother.

    Joe gets much more emotionally involved than usual, and speaks wistfully about the victim. He gazes somewhat longingly at a photo of the victim, and, although it's never explicit, he seems to fall a little in love with her.

    TV episodes are, I imagine, outside of your parameters, but given the iconic status of DRAGNET, and how different this episode was, I thought I'd mention it.

    JIM DOHERTY