Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: More Likable P.I.s?

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 30 Sep 2009

    Likeable? No, not necessarily. In fact,in noir, maybe not even that desireable.

    But readers need to be able to identify with the protagonist in some way. They have to care about whether he/she/it will or will not achieve an objective. This can be especially difficult when clear objectives seem so artificial relative to life outside the literature, but I think that's a defining challenge for noir writers.

    Likeable dicks bumbling along and achieving very little is noir. That'd be Lew Griffin, pretty much. Superficially likeable or charming PIs revealing their own corruptions and limitations in pursuit of moral or amoral standards is Spade, I think. Likeable detectives living happily ever after through achieving their goals is romantic escapism, no matter the number of noir clichés invoked in the process. I'm not convinced that's Marlow, though Chandler's concept of a lone knight patrolling the mean streets is.

    However, characters like the sherriff in Pop. 1280 become noir icons as we understand that, no matter how charming they may be or how appealing the narratives that let them slip the complex tangle of social rules to proceed straight to single-minded success, these folks are fundamentally disagreeable. What's noir here, to some extent, is the fact that at some level we identify with them.

    While appropriate among hardboil PIs, I tend to think that notions of decency and/or strong moral codes among noir PIs, a literature that is essentially about the limitations or outright failure of objective, universal, moral codes, are merely attempts to impose ideals on characters with whom we might find an uncomfortable identity, .

    Of course, the sherriff in Pop. 1280 is not a PI, so please Kevin, if you've read this far, assume this is another of my irrelevant ramblings.

    etc. etc., Kerry